At Coastal Dermatology and Medspa, our priority is to deliver quality dermatology care to informed patients in a comfortable and convenient setting.
Reveal Your Own Kybella® Profile
Kybella® is the first and only FDA-approved injectable treatment to improve the appearance of moderate to severe fat beneath the chin by physically destroying fat cells.
Kybella® is a prescription medicine used in adults to improve the appearance and profile of moderate to severe fat below the chin (submental fat), also called "double chin."
Is Kybella® (injection treatment) right for me?
- Are you bothered by fat under the chin, also known as submental fullness?
- Do you feel the condition makes you look older or heavier than you actually are?
- Do you eat well and exercise, but submental fullness does not go away?
- You don't want surgery.
What causes submental fullness?
Submental fullness due to fat beneath the chin can impact a broad range of both male and female adults. Some possible causes are:
- Weight Gain
Sometimes, even with diet or exercise, the condition may not go away, and it could make you appear older or heavier than you actually are.
How does Kybella® work?
- When injected into the area beneath your chin, Kybella® destroys fat cells. Once destroyed, those cells cannot store or accumulate fat.
- The active ingredient in Kybella® is deoxycholic acid, a naturally occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat.
- Fat cleared from the treatment area is processed through your body's natural metabolism.
How many Kybella® treatment sessions will I need?
- Your healthcare provider will help you determine how many treatment sessions you need, based on the amount and distribution of you submental fat and your personal treatment goals.
- Up to 6 treatments may be administered, spaced no less than 1 month apart.
- Fifty-nine percent of people treated with Kybella® in clinical studies received 6 treatments.
How is Kybella® administered?
- Kybella® is given during an in-office visit. The injection process may take 15-20 minutes.
- Your healthcare provider will give you a series of injections into the fat under your chin at each treatment session.
Will there be side effects?
The most common treatment area side effects include:
- Areas of hardness
Kybella® can cause serious side effects, including nerve injury in the jaw that can cause an uneven smile or facial muscle weakness (experienced by 4 out of 100 people in clinical studies) and trouble swallowing (experienced by 2 out of 100 people in clinical studies).
If these statements apply to you, ask your doctor if Kybella® is right for you.
Before receiving treatment, tell your doctor about all your medical conditions, including if you have had or plan to have surgery on your face, neck, or chin; have had cosmetic treatments on your face, neck, or chin; have bleeding problems; are pregnant or plan to become pregnant (it is not known if Kybella® will harm your unborn baby); or are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed (it is not known if Kybella® passes into your breast milk; talk to your healthcare provider about the best way to feed your baby if you receive Kybella®).
Ready to schedule your Kybella® treatment?
Here are some questions you may want to ask your healthcare provider:
- Will treatment with Kybella® help me achieve my aesthetic goals?
- What kind of aftercare will I need?
- When should I schedule a follow-up visit?
- Will I need follow-up treatments once we achieve our desired outcome?