At Coastal Dermatology and Medspa, our priority is to deliver quality dermatology care to informed patients in a comfortable and convenient setting.
Smooth & Supple Skin Is Just Below The Surface
Throughout the years, our skin goes through a lot of changes. The natural processes that support fresh, healthy-looking skin begin to wane and our complexion starts to look stressed, dull and tired. Fortunately, smooth, supple skin is just below the surface, waiting to be revealed with a chemical peel at Coastal Dermatology & Medspa. By choosing the right strength and formula for your needs, board-certified dermatologist Dr. Sanjiva Goyal and his team of skincare experts can strip away years of aging, sun damage and more to rejuvenate your appearance with minimal downtime or recovery.
What is a Chemical Peel?
A chemical peel is a facial resurfacing treatment that reveals a smooth, glowing complexion by removing the skin's damaged outer layer. Highly effective at diminishing fine lines and wrinkles, blemishes and other imperfections, chemical peels can restore dull, tired-looking skin and encourage fresh cellular turnover to create a more youthful appearance. Depending on your concerns, chemical peels come in varying strengths that penetrate different layers of the skin and your practitioner will select the appropriate formulation based on your needs to create a highly customized treatment. Chemical peels are often used to address the following conditions:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Sun damage and age spots
- Rough, uneven skin
- Blotchy complexion
- Mild to moderate scarring
At Coastal Dermatology & Medspa, you'll have the option to select from mild treatments that gently exfoliate the surface layer of your skin or more intensive peels that penetrate deeper for more dramatic results. To help you choose, your skin will be thoroughly evaluated during an in-person consultation, where you'll also have the opportunity to discuss your goals to ensure deeply personalized results.
Am I a good candidate for Chemical Peel?
The range of available strengths and formulations make chemical peels a highly versatile treatment able to address a number of concerns. For most people, they are a safe and effective solution for rejuvenating the skin without surgery or downtime, offering long-lasting results after just a few treatments. Some indications that a chemical peel may be right for you include:
- Mild to moderate wrinkles or sagging
- Have not recently taken Accutane or similar medications
- Melasma and other pigmentation issues
- No active sores, infections or flare-ups
- Skin conditions that respond well to chemical peels
- Good overall health and realistic expectations
- Not prone to scarring or keloids
Due to the risk of hyperpigmentation, ideal candidates for chemical peels tend to have lighter skin, but the experienced practitioners at Coastal Dermatology & Medspa can minimize this risk with the right formulation to ensure that those with a darker complexion enjoy the same outstanding results. To determine if a chemical peel is right for you, our skincare experts will assess your skin during an in-person consultation and develop a customized treatment plan to address your concerns. If you're not an ideal candidate, we work closely with you to explore your options and recommend alternatives such as laser resurfacing, microdermabrasion or fillers that may help you reach your goals.
Chemical Peel at Coastal Dermatology & Medspa
When you arrive for your appointment, your skin will first be cleansed to remove any makeup or debris, followed by a topical anesthetic to alleviate any potential discomfort. Once your skin is ready, your practitioner will move the microneedling device across targeted areas, adjusting the needle length and depth as tiny micro-punctures are made to produce a desired outcome. At Coastal Dermatology & Medspa, we use the Rejuvapen, a state-of-the-art microneedling device that gives your provider more control than ever, allowing for a highly personalized experience that addresses your skin concerns in even the most delicate areas. Compared to other devices, the Rejuvapen also increases the absorption of active ingredients applied to your skin, allowing you to maximize the effectiveness of growth factors, serums and other topical products.
Microneedling procedures typically last for 30 to 40 minutes, but this may vary depending on the size and scope of your treatment area. You may feel the vibrations of the pen or a sandpaper-like sensation during your treatment, but the procedure is generally well-tolerated as the topical numbing cream ensures little to no discomfort.
Chemical Peels at Coastal Dermatology
At Coastal Dermatology & Medspa, your chemical peel will be applied in-office by one of our experienced practitioners and left on to allow the desired effects to occur. During this time, you may notice some tingling, but this sensation will vary depending on the strength and type of peel used and is generally well tolerated. Once the peel has been given time to work, it will be neutralized and removed. Our formulas are optimized to treat a wide range of concerns and contain either glycolic acid or trichloroacetic (TCA) acid in varying strengths, providing deep exfoliation that easily penetrates the skin's outer layer. Read on to learn more about the chemical peels we offer and how they work to restore a smoother, more youthful complexion.
- Glycolic acid peels are available in concentrations of 30, 50, and 70 percent. Depending on the desired effects, the appropriate strength varies from patient to patient. Glycolic acid is renowned for its ability to treat fine facial lines, acne scars and discoloration, removing dead skin cells to reveal fresh, new skin free of blemishes. Glycolic acid peels are quick, easy and comfortable, with little to no downtime depending on the strength of the peel and your skin's sensitivity. Most clients can immediately resume all normal activities after their treatment, but you will need to limit sun exposure to ensure an optimal outcome. For best results, a series of peels is often recommended.
- TCA peels are our strongest formula available, able to reach the deeper layers of your skin for more dramatic results. At a concentration of 15 percent, our TCA peels are generally well-tolerated and can be layered to effectively treat a range of skin concerns that includes fine lines, sun damage, age spots, enlarged pores, stubborn pigmentation issues and more pronounced acne scars. You may notice some redness, irritation and flaking after your treatment due to the strength of the peel, but this is normal and should quickly subside. In the weeks following your TCA peel, direct sunlight should be avoided to preserve your results as the ingredients make your skin more sensitive to harmful UVB rays. Improvements become visible as your skin begins to heal and most clients enjoy long-lasting results after just a few treatments.
What to Expect After Your Chemical Peel
After your treatment, you may notice some dryness, redness and increased skin sensitivity. This is completely normal and will subside as the healing process begins. Over the next few days, you may experience some flaking or peeling as new skin is revealed, but to what extent will vary depending on strength and type of solution used. It's important to let the peeling and flaking occur naturally, as picking may diminish your results and lead to scarring. This process may last for three to five days for milder peels, or up to 10 days for deeper, more intense peels. During this time, your skin will be more susceptible to sun exposure, so wearing sunscreen and avoiding direct sunlight is essential to ensure an optimal outcome. Our skincare experts can answer any questions you may have and will provide you with detailed aftercare instructions to help you get the most out of your chemical peel.
Ready to schedule a Chemical Peel?
If your skin is feeling dull and tired, a chemical peel at Coastal Dermatology & Medspa can refresh your appearance and reveal the beautiful glow just below the surface. With highly customized treatment plans developed by board-certified dermatology Dr. Sanjiva Goyal and his knowledgeable team of skincare experts, you'll marvel at the dramatic results and enjoy a youthful radiance that lasts. Contact or call us today in Jacksonville, Florida, at 904-727-9123 or nearby Ponte Vedra Beach at 904-567-1050 to schedule a consultation and see what a chemical peel can do for you.