Skin cancer affects millions of Americans each year. In fact, the Centers for Disease Control say that about 4.3 million new cases of basal cell carcinoma, the most common form of skin cancer, are diagnosed each year. Luckily, skin cancer is treatable and even preventable with the right steps. Find out more about skin cancer and what to look for in your skin with Dr. Sanjiva Goyal at Coastal Dermatology and MedSpa with locations in Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida.
Tips to Prevent Skin Cancer
The main aspect of preventing skin cancer is preventing the sun’s harmful UV rays from coming into contact with your skin. To start, always wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least 30 SPF on visible areas of skin. Wear tightly-woven clothing to help prevent the sun’s rays from penetrating the cloth to reach your skin. Try to stay out of the sun during peak hours when it is strongest, usually around noon when the sun is highest in the sky.
Spotting Skin Cancer Early with the ABCDE's
The ABCDE's can help you spot questionable moles early and seek early treatment. They include:
- Asymmetry: Moles should be symmetrical in shape. If you have a mole which is larger on one side than the other, you should have it checked by your dermatologist.
- Border: A mole’s border should be smooth and round or oval in shape.
- Color: The color of a mole can vary from light pink to dark brown. However, moles which have more than one color within their border may be cancerous.
- Diameter: Dermatologists usually consider a mole under about six millimeters in diameter normal. However, if you have a mole bigger than about the size of a pencil eraser, you should have it checked.
- Evolution: Normal moles may change a bit over time, but usually stay about the same. A questionable mole may change or grow rapidly or appear out of nowhere.
Use these tips to ensure that you spot skin cancer early. For more information on spotting or treating skin cancer, please contact your dermatologist, Dr. Sanjiva Goyal at Coastal Dermatology and MedSpa with locations in Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida. Call (904) 727-9123 to schedule your appointment in Jacksonville or (904) 567-1050 to schedule your appointment in Ponte Vedra Beach today!