According to the American Academy of Dermatology, acne is the most common skin condition affecting adults and teens in the U.S. If you are struggling with acne, help is available. There are several ways to treat acne and a dermatologist can prescribe one or more treatment approaches for you. At Coastal Dermatology and MedSpa, Dr. Sanjiva Goyal is your Jacksonville dermatologist for the treatment of acne.
Cause of Acne
The primary cause of acne is clogged pores. The pores can become clogged when dirt, debris, and sebum get trapped inside. The skin naturally produces sebum, which helps keep the skin moisturized. Normally, sebum also helps clean out the pores. However, if anything interferes with the normal sebum production process, sebum can become trapped and end up clogging the pores instead of cleaning them.
In healthy skin, sebum moves along the hair follicles, collecting dirt and debris as it goes. Sebum will eventually exit through the pores, taking with it any dirt and debris that has been collected along the hair follicles. This process helps keep the pores clean. Unfortunately, when the process is interrupted and the pores are clogged, acne often develops. Fortunately, several effective dermatological treatments are available for clearing up acne and keeping the pores clean.
Several options are available for treating existing acne and preventing the development of new acne. Dr. Goyal, your Jacksonville dermatologist, can recommend the right treatment option(s) for your skin. Some of the treatments available through Coastal Dermatology and MedSpa include:
- Antibiotics — Taken orally or applied topically, antibiotics target bacterial infections inside the pores and reduce inflammation.
- Benzoyl Peroxide — Applied topically to affected areas to unclog pores and clear up existing acne.
- Tretinoin — A Vitamin A derivative that is applied topically to affected areas to unclog pores and clear up existing acne, as well as prevent additional acne from developing.
- Extraction — Method for unblocking the pores by removing whiteheads and blackheads using a small metal instrument.
- Hormonal Treatments — An oral treatment for women whose acne is hormonally induced.
We can help if you are struggling with acne. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Goyal by calling Coastal Dermatology and MedSpa at (904) 727-9123 for the Jacksonville office, or at (904) 567-1050 for the Ponte Vedra Beach office.