According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, over 3.3 million Americans are diagnosed with skin cancer each year. In fact, one in five people will develop skin cancer at some point in their lives. These startling numbers make it obvious just how common of a problem skin cancer really is. However, learning the earliest warning signs of this condition can help you and your doctor find, diagnose, and treat it at its earliest and most curable stages. Find out more about recognizing the signs of skin cancer with Dr. Sanjiva Goyal at Coastal Dermatology and MedSpa with offices in Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra Beach, FL.
Is this mole normal?
Recognizing the signs of skin cancer early is crucial to successful treatment results. One of the easiest ways to recognize skin cancer is with the ABCDE method:
- Asymmetrical: Normal moles are symmetrical in shape. If you have a mole which appears to be asymmetrical, it could be cancerous.
- Border: Pay careful attention to the border of your mole. It should be smooth, not jagged or curvy.
- Color: Normal moles are one solid color which can range from skin-toned to brown. If you notice your mole is very dark brown or black or you see more than one color within its border, you should contact your dermatologist.
- Diameter: Normal moles are less than 6 millimeters in diameter. If you have a mole bigger than roughly the size of a pencil eraser, it could be cancerous.
- Evolving: Cancerous moles appear where nothing was before and noticeably grow or change shape.
Treating Skin Cancer in Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Skin cancer treatments vary patient to patient due to the severity of the case, which stage the cancer is in, and its location. Most cases of skin cancer caught in its earlier stages are treated by removing the part of the skin on which the cancer formed. This usually occurs during an outpatient procedure at your doctor’s office. However, more advanced cases in which the cancer has spread may require both removal and chemotherapy or radiotherapy to eliminate every cancerous cell.
For more information on skin cancer or identifying its symptoms, please contact Dr. Sanjiva Goyal at Coastal Dermatology and MedSpa in Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra Beach, FL. Call 904-727-9123 to schedule your appointment at the Jacksonville, FL office or 904-567-1050 to schedule your appointment at the Ponte Vedra Beach, FL office today!