Posts for: August, 2017
Excess facial or body hair can be troublesome for both men and women. Although common, removal methods such as shaving and waxing are temporary, time consuming, painful and often yield poor results. It’s no wonder more and more people are opting for long-lasting, convenient hair reduction via laser hair removal.
With the use of advanced laser technology, your dermatologist can treat most areas of unwanted hair successfully, conveniently and with fewer complications than other methods. Professional laser treatment is a non-invasive approach to permanent reduction of hair, which can easily treat large areas of hair growth in a short period of time.
In-Office Laser Hair Removal
Performed by an expert dermatologist, laser hair removal works by penetrating the skin with controlled pulses of light that are absorbed by the hair follicles. Without damaging the skin and with minimal patient discomfort, the laser energy destroys the hair follicles and significantly impedes their ability to re-grow. Following treatment, patients enjoy smooth, soft skin and a long-lasting reduction in unwanted hair.
Since hair grows in cycles, the total number of required treatment sessions varies by patient skin type, hair color and hair coarseness. Common areas treated with laser hair removal include the legs, arms, back, shoulders, underarms, upper lip and the bikini area. Darker-colored hair is typically more responsive to laser treatment than light colored hair.
It’s important that you always choose an experienced dermatologist for hair removal to ensure the highest level of safety and efficiency. Your dermatologist will discuss the best laser hair removal options for your specific skin type, needs and expectations.
Visit our practice for a successful diagnosis and treatment for excess hair and experience the long-lasting results available with laser hair removal.
VASER Lipo is an innovative liposuction method for eliminating excess fat from certain areas of the body. Stubborn fat is removed and the skin’s surface is smoothed, creating a more toned appearance so you can look and feel your best. VASER Lipo is a minimally invasive procedure that utilizes ultrasound waves to break up areas of fat. Recovery is quick and there is minimal discomfort. VASER Lipo can be performed by Dr. Sanjiva Goyal, your Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra Beach, FL dermatologist, at Coastal Dermatology & MedSpa.
The VASER Lipo procedure is relatively simple and non-invasive as compared to other liposuction techniques. The target area of the body is first injected with a saline solution. Then, a small probe sends ultrasound energy to the area to break up excess fat, which is removed through a thin tube called a cannula. A gentle suction is used to guide the fat through the cannula. A unique aspect of the VASER Lipo procedure is that other surrounding tissues are left untouched as fatty tissue is targeted, which produces less discomfort and trauma.
Benefits of VASER Lipo
VASER Lipo offers many benefits over other liposuction procedures. Your Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra Beach dermatologist can help you decide if VASER Lipo is right for you. Some of its benefits include:
- The procedure is minimally invasive.
- Produces visible results in a single visit.
- Large amounts of stored fat are easily eliminated.
- Targets fatty tissue, while sparing other surrounding tissues.
- Accentuates and refines the appearance of muscles to create a more toned look.
- Creates smoother looking skin in delicate areas, such as the neck and arms.
- Less discomfort than traditional liposuction procedures.
- Shorter recovery time than traditional liposuction procedures.
VASER Lipo is an exciting technique for sculpting and contouring stubborn fatty areas of the body. Following the procedure, excess fat will be gone, skin will be smoother and muscles might even have a more toned appearance. At Coastal Dermatology & MedSpa, Dr. Goyal, your Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra Beach, FL dermatologist, can perform VASER Lipo for you. Call (904) 727-9123 to schedule an appointment at the Jacksonville location or (904) 567-1050 for the Ponte Vedra Beach location.
Although it may only seem like a temporary irritation, a sunburn can cause long-lasting damage to the skin. Skin that is sunburned is red, tender and warm to the touch. Severely sunburned skin may even result in the formation of painful blisters.
Too much sun is especially dangerous for children. One severe sunburn during childhood may double a child’s lifetime risk of melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer.
It may take up to 24 hours after sun exposure to recognize the severity of your burn. For mild burns, follow these tips to relieve discomfort:
- Avoid the sun. Spending additional time in the sun after you already have a sunburn will only worsen the negative effects and delay the healing process.
- Take a cool shower or bath to relieve any pain or discomfort. Apply a cool compress, like a damp cloth, to the skin to help reduce discomfort.
- Apply moisturizer or cream to soothe the skin. Aloe gel is a common household remedy for sunburns as it helps ease pain and inflammation.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. A sunburn draws fluid to the skin surface and away from the rest of the body.
- Take ant-inflammatory medications. Do this as directed by your doctor to help decrease the inflammation and reduce redness and pain.
- Do not pop any blisters. This will slow the healing process and increase the risk for infection.
In most cases a sunburn does not require medical attention. Call a doctor immediately if there are signs of heat exhaustion, dehydration, fever, severe blistering or other serious reactions.
Fortunately, sunburns are completely preventable. Remember to always wear sunscreen and limit overexposure to the sun by seeking shade and wearing appropriate clothes and accessories that cover the skin, such as hats and sunglasses.
Remember, prevention is better than cure, so remember to take extra precaution to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays!